Coral Nutrition | Tips and Tricks
When it comes to coral feeding, there are two methods which are most effective: broadcast feeding and target feeding. Here’s a step-by-step guide (also available as a video):
Broadcast feeding is a “set & forget” daily method which is both easy and efficient.
1. Turn off the protein skimmer and the main return pump, so the coral food you are about to pour into the aquarium will not be removed by the skimmer and carbon media.
2. Leave your wave pumps on, so the coral food will mix evenly across the aquarium.
3. Prepare the required amount of coral food in a clean measuring cup.
4. Pour the coral food into the tank, near the wave pumps, so it will spread across the aquarium. If you do not have wave pumps, simply pour the coral food across the length of the aquarium.
5. Coral food, such as Reef Energy Plus, usually takes a couple of minutes to mix with the water. At this stage, it is advised to select FEED mode in your ReefBeat App.
Program FEED mode beforehand to turn off one pump while leaving the other one on. This will reduce the flow and allow the corals to feed more easily, as opposed to a strong flow that can blow off the mucus layer from the feeding corals.
6. After 30 minutes of feeding, you can turn the entire system back on.
The second recommended method to feed your corals is target feeding, which requires a pipette or a baster.
1. Mix one third of Reef Energy Plus with two thirds of aquarium water.
2. Turn off the return pump, skimmer, and wave pumps, and wait until all water flow has ceased in the aquarium.
3. Fill your pipette or baster with the Reef Energy Plus – water mix, and gently feed every single coral by releasing a small amount right above the coral, allowing them to absorb the food directly.
4. With target feeding it is easy to lose track of time, so it is best to set up a timer to make sure you don’t forget to turn the system back on.
When feeding your corals with Reef Energy Plus, it is extremely recommended to sit back and watch the corals: They will fluff-up, extend their tentacles and do what corals do when they’re happy.
Check out the Tips and Tricks video about how to make the most out of your Reef Energy Plus:
And if you want to learn more about the science behind Reef Energy Plus, watch our Red Sea Insights nutrition video: